Tuesday 5 August 2014

Painting in the sun

 
I'm having a break from writing at the moment, enjoying the sun, reading and working in the garden. But the other day, the mood came upon me to get my paints out. I wanted to try something colourful and abstract, inspired by a conversation with an artist friend of mine who said that sometimes she just gets her brushes out with no picture in her head, and just sees where it leads.
 
So I found a decent-sized canvas, 18 by 24 inches, and set to daubing outside in the courtyard - I make no claims to mastery of painting - and this is the result. After a while it seemed like flowers and fruit to me, so I deliberately gave it a recognisable fig and slice of watermelon. Quite pleased, actually.

8 comments:

Evelyn said...

I like it! Definitely would hang it on my wall.

Muriel said...

Very nice Deborah! You have been gifted with many talents!

Gill Edwards said...

love the riot of colours and the fruit is a nice touch, lovely!
Gill x

Maureen said...

I'm always impressed by how many writers turn out to have a gift for the visual arts. Wonderful intensity in your painting, Deborah.

Darina said...

Beautiful play of colors!

Deborah Lawrenson said...

Thank you kindly for your very generous responses! As I say, not claiming to be an artist.

Marcheline said...

My favorite part is the area where you've used lavender... it makes it feel as though there's something behind the fruit, shining through.

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

It's lovely, Deborah. Throughout my life, I've had fantasies about painting some glorious landscape or sweet family scene. Unfortunately, I can't get past the stick figures...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...