Saturday 28 September 2013

How it begins

 
The grapes above the outdoor dining table are just on the turn from green to ripe purple. In Provence it's another sign that high summer is drawing to a close (this photo was taken in mid-August). Each evening, another day of hot sun has darkened a few more beads of fruit.

Now, back in England, I can't help but feel wistful at missing out this year, not only on tasting the grapes - a dessert variety, very sweet and muscat-floral - but on those days in the garden when life slows down. I was going to give myself a break from writing until the new book comes out next summer, but somehow the idea forming for the next is too insistent to ignore. The theme has been in mind for a while. In the notebook, the observations and ideas to explore are slowing coming to fruition. The story is no more solid than trailing leaves from the vine canopy. I can't say anything specific about it; it might change out of all recognition.

But early research reading is bringing plot possibilities. There's a tingle of excitement and anticipation of something new that could be achieved. Not there yet, by any means, but each day some new aspect develops, and the colours change. This isn't work - it's fun.

3 comments:

James Kiester said...

I don't think you can PLAN a break in writing. If it comes, it comes.

Muriel said...

I personally find it easier to write in London: I am at my desk, and it is raining (well, not today, but in general). I just have to do it...no distractions...

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Always exciting to start on new ideas. Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...